Now you know when I was turned on to this recipe by Celina ”The Food Smarty”, my eyes got REALLY big. I mean how much more “Win Win Win” could you possibly get? Fried Chicken (check!), Gluten Free (double check!!), cooked with healthy ingredients (TRIPLE CHECK!!!). Now this is not a “diet” food per se. This is a healthy-er-ish version of a very unhealthy food that everyone loves and is really hard to give up For those of us on weight loss journeys, isn’t it infuriating to know people that can go to KFC and eat a bucket of fried chicken and not gain a pound, but if you nibble on a chicken strip you gain 3? Now we have a healthier alternative!
Here are the ingredients:
4 organic eggs*
1 cup garbonzo flour
1 cup tapioca flour
½ cup brown rice flour
Organic coconut oil
Spices and salt (optional)
Bone in split chicken breasts and legs
* May substitute eggs for ¼ cup ground flaxseed + ¾ cup water
- Whisk 4 eggs in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Dip chicken in eggs, then into the dry mixture (repeat optional)
- Make sure to heat your coconut to a sufficient heat before adding chicken. After the 2nd batch, you’ll probably need to bring the temperature down as the oil will get too hot.
Celine definitely has a passion for nutrition and you can find her at the following places on the interwebs:
If you want to add to the recipe section (or know of a great recipe video you would like to see hi-lighted) just remember the 3 commandments for the BigManShrinking.com recipe section:
1) It Has To Be Relatively Healthy – No excessive salt, sugar, processed refined ingredients, high fat, etc.etc. Organic alternatives preferred.
2) It Has To Be Easy To Make…because my non-cooking self is going to give it a try
3) It Can Focus On Any Dietary Approach – Low Carb, Low Calorie, Vegan, Vegetarian, Raw, etc. etc.
Try it out and let me know your results. Better still, please let The Food Smarty know how much you appreciated her recipe.
To Your Success On The Journey!